This lighthouse actually was what was known as a “stag” station, in that the keeper’s family didn’t live there with him. The station was automated in 1964 and no longer needed a live-in keeper.
Visitors may see the lighthouse during open houses from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays from the end of May to October.
Just five miles north of us is Camden and the Curtis Island Lighthouse. Located on Curtis Island just a short distance offshore from Camden Harbor, a lighthouse was first constructed there in the 1830s, first seeing service in 1836 (its tower was just 20 feet tall).
A 25-foot-tall lighthouse was built in 1896. This is the tower you’ll see today.
Because of its location (it’s relatively close to town and is on a small, idyllic island), this lighthouse was popular with keepers and their families. The light was automated in 1972 but the island and light station still houses a caretaker.
The lighthouse, unfortunately, is not open to the public. It’s hard to see from land, but is easily seen from the water. The island itself is open to the public, but is only accessible by boat.
Right here in Rockport is the Indian Island Lighthouse. Located on the seven-acre Indian Island that’s located just off of Beauchamp Point, this light station was first opened in 1850 and consisted of a lantern placed on the top of the keeper’s house.
A Fresnel lens was placed there in 1856 but, because the light station was so close to Curtis Island, the station was “discontinued in 1859 but later reopened 1875. The light station was discontinued permanently in 1934 and replaced with an automatic light on nearby Lowell Rock.
The lighthouse is now privately owned and not opened to the public.